To register, click on the orange 'Register Now' button.
For questions e-mail or call Lynne Smith at 614 861 7015 x110. Early registration is encouraged as the number of participants is limited. Upon registration you will receive an e-mail confirmation of your reservation and additional information from AltaSim.
Dates & Location
Live, Web-Based Training
June 6-16, 2022
- Session 1 (Introduction to FEA Modeling) – June 6
- Session 2 (Introduction to Modeling in COMSOL) – June 7 (Prerequisite for later sessions)
- Session 3 (Creating Geometries for COMSOL Modeling) – June 8
- Session 4 (Setting up Physics in COMSOL) - June 9
- Session 5 (Building Custom Meshes in COMSOL) - June 14
- Session 6 (Working with the Study Node) – June 15
- Session 7 (Post-processing with the Results Node) – June 16
The web-based version of Multiphysics Solutions using COMSOL Multiphysics class provides a comprehensive introduction to solving problems using COMSOL Multiphysics. AltaSim's instructors use their experience to teach the practical aspects of using COMSOL Multiphysics, including:
- COMSOL Multiphysics interface
- Geometry development
- Physics set up
- Solver selection
The class offers a combination of presentations, demonstrations, workshops and individual problems. Practical demonstrations and workshops are designed to reinforce the concepts and techniques.
Training emphasized practical skills and techniques essential for multiphysics analysis reinforced by useful tips and insight from staff that use COMSOL Multiphysics on a daily basis. On completion you will be proficient in the skills to uses COMSOL Multiphysics to analyze your own multiphysics problems.
Click HERE for example problems from this course.
The cost for these seven (7) sessions are:
- Session 1 (Overview of the Finite Element Method and COMSOL Multiphysics): $300
- Session 2 (Introduction to Modeling in COMSOL Multiphysics) Required: $300
- Session 3 (Creating Geometry in COMSOL): $400
- Session 4 (Setting up Physics in COMSOL): $400
- Session 5 (Building Custom Meshes in COMSOL): $400
- Session 6 (Working with the Study Node in COMSOL): $400
- Session 7 (Use the Results Node to Post-Process in COMSOL): $400
Students will receive a digital copy of the course material in PDF format. Students may also purchase hardcopies of the material for an additional cost of $50 for the first session materials ordered and $25 for each additional session.
You will leave each session with new skills to work on your own applications using your free, two-week COMSOL Multiphysics® trial.
All times are Eastern Time.
Session 1 (Overview), 12:30 pm - 4:00pm EDT
The inherent methodologies used in numerical analysis will provide the basis for introducing the capabilities of COMSOL Multiphysics. The following items will be covered:
- Methodology of linear and non-linear numerical analysis
- Capabilities of COMSOL Multiphysics
Session 2 (Introduction), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Participants will be introduced to the COMSOL interface and guided through hands-on examples and demonstrations. The following items will be covered:
- Capabilities of COMSOL Multiphysics
- Structure of graphical user interface
- How to build and set up a simple analysis
- Solution and post processing of analytical results
This session is a prerequisite for Sessions 3-7.
Session 3 (Geometry), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Alternative ways to build geometries in COMSOL Multiphysics including best practices for developing complex shapes will be covered, specifically:
- Mechanisms for building and importing model geometries
- Best practices for dealing with complex geometric shapes
Session 2 is a prerequisite for Session 3
Session 4 (Physics), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Best Approaches for problem set up, materials selection for singe physics and multiphysics simulations will be developed using practical examples.
- Setting up the physics of a problem
- Multiphysics simulations
Session 2 is a prerequisite for Session 4
Session 5 (Meshing), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Concepts and practices for mesh generation will be discussed, including guidelines for mesh refinement in the presence of large gradients. The following items will be covered:
- Methods for mesh generation
- Customized mesh generation and refinement
- Guidelines for mesh refinement
Session 2 is a prerequisite for Session 5
Session 6 (Study Node), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Selection of the required problem type and appropriate solvers and solver settings will be discussed and reinforced by worked examples and step-by-step tutorials. The following items will be covered:
- The linear and non-linear finite element method
- The linear and non-linear systems solvers, what they do, and how best to use them
- Selection of relevant problem type
- Solver configuration for parametric solutions
- Customized solver set up
- Best practices for solver selection
Session 2 is a prerequisite for Session 6
Session 7 (Post-Processing), 12:30 pm - 4:30pm EDT
Options for post-processing and visualization will be discussed through the use of example problems for post-processing. The following items will be addressed:
- Post processing of analysis results
- Viewing different plot representations of results
- Exporting images and tabular data
- Generation of animations
Session 2 is a prerequisite for Session 7
Who should attend
Muliphysics Solutions is ideal for people with little or no experience using the software with an engineering, physics, mathematics or science background. No previous experience with COMSOL Multiphysics is required, but some basic knowledge of the scientific principles being applied is desirable.
This web-based version provides access to our experienced instructors without the cost and difficulties of travel. The sessions are separated into key topics to enable the student to choose which training they most want without requiring students to pay for every session.
Instruction will be performed by experienced engineers who use COMSOL Multiphysics on a daily basis to solve real world problems. Among the instructors will be:
Kyle has more than 25 years experience in computational analysis and has worked in developing and applying multiphysics analysis for the last 20 years. He specializes in analyses that incorporate structural, thermal, acoustic and vibration behavior. As a Principal of AltaSim he has been instrumental in the development and application of multiphysics analysis to real world problems in the Petrochemical, Aerospace, Medical Products and Energy markets.
Luke has more than 10 years experience in multiphysics analysis and specializes in analysis of problems relating to fluid flow, thermal, electro-magnetic, plasma and acoustic phenomena. As a Principal Engineer at AltaSim he has been instrumental in the development and application of multiphysics analysis to real world problems in the Medical Products, Consumer Products, Semiconductor Devices and Energy markets.
With more than nine years of computational analysis experience, Josh has a graduate level training in computational mechanics modeling specializing in microstructural analysis. As a Senior Engineer at AltaSim, he plays a vital role in developing solutions to a wide range of multiphysics problems using COMSOL. He has been integral to the development and teaching of both COMSOL Multiphysics and SpaceClaim courses at AltaSim.
Sergei has more than 30 years experience in computational analysis and specializes in analysis of problems relating to structural, piezo-electric, thermal, electro-magnetic, vibration, plasma and acoustic phenomena. As a Principal Engineer at AltaSim he has been instrumental in the development and application of multiphysics analysis to real world problems in the Automotive, Aerospace, Medical Products, Consumer Products, and Energy markets.
Training will take place between 12:30pm and 4:30pm ET.
Payment should be provided in advance and can be made by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or company purchase order. For security purposes we do not accept credit card information by e-mail. AltaSim will contact you by phone to confirm payment information.
Please mail payments/purchase orders to:
130 East Wilson Bridge Rd, Suite 140
Columbus, OH 43085
Please note that your seat in the course can not be confirmed until payment or a formal purchase order have been received. Instructor-led training tuition is fully refundable if we receive written notification (via mail or e-mail) of cancellation on or before seven business days prior to the class. Cancellations made less than seven business days prior to class will be charged 50 percent of the course tuition fee. If you fail to show up to class without written notice, you will be charged the full tuition. You may send a substitute in your place to avoid a fee.